Thursday, July 21, 2011

An 11pm Blog

I was a little trepidatious about blogging today, first because "se me fue el dia"... how do you say that in English?? - The actual translation is "the day left me", which no one would ever actually say, I guess the best next thing would be to say, there wasn't enough hours in the day. 

Also, I didn't work out today.  I know this was suppose to be my journal for working out and all things healthy, but it just doesn't work that way for me.  If we're going to talk about my health and be completely honest about it, today was one of the worst "health" days for me in a long time.  I had limited use of my hands for the entire day.  My arthritis has not been this bad in so long, that I had started taking it for granted.  It's usually my "eczema" that bothers me the most.  Today, I couldn't open my hand all the way out without pain shooting through my fingers and hands.  Days like today scare me because I think I'm going to be the little old lady with the crippled fingers.  But just for the record, that's not the reason I didnt' work out today.  I had things to do this morning, appointments and errands, and I didn't make it to one of my favorite classes.

I had an experience this morning that brought me to tears.  I'm not kidding.  I'm an emotional person as it is, especially a couple weeks out of the month, and today I was so moved by people's generosity and the abundance of love and kindness that people extend out towards others.  I was with my husband and we were shopping for groceries.  Such a simple act, right?  But, all of a sudden I was present to the fact that I've NEVER gone hungry.  My family has never starved.  God promised that we'd be taken care of, and we always have been.  When I was contemplating quiting my job, it was one of my biggest fears since I knew we'd be cutting our income in half.  My brother, who is not one to ever talk religiously or spiritually with me, sent me an email that I am sure I still have saved somewhere and which became one of my favorite passages.  It's Matthew 6:25-6:26:  "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?".  It may have actually been more verses, but these two are the ones that spoke to me.  And anyway, I spent my morning feeling immensely blessed, loved, and taken care of.

It's not just the food either that makes me feel this way.  I have amazing people in my life.  I am supported by incredible friends and a loving family.  I appreciate all the people I come into contact with during my day.  For example, I absolutely adore my gym instructors.  The fact that they get up and do what they do on a daily/weekly basis (whether they are in the mood to workout out or not) for the benefit of themselves and others in an inspiration to me.  I go to the gym whenever I can or want to, they don't.  They are there week after week for me!  And they spend their time outside of the gym collecting rock blocking beats, choreographing workouts, being healthy and just plain amazing and inspiring.   

Back to my day though.  Last night my son decided he wanted to spend the night at my parent's house.  I absolutely love this.  My maternal grandparents where in Mexico when I was growing up, I didn't get to meet my paternal grandmother, my dad's dad died when I was young and we didn't have a lot of time together because he was in Mexico while I grew up here.   The fact that my son loves hanging out with my parents and likes to spend the night, makes me feel so wonderful for the bond and memories they are creating.  So this morning, before I knew it, it was noon and my sister called to invite us to the pool since Alexander was at my mom's house.  My husband, daughter, and I met them at the pool.  The rest of the day, I spent watching my family splash, tackle, and play in the water.  We only left because our tummies told us to.  And we had pizza!  Like I said, not the healthiest day for me.  But pizza after the pool, is heaven. 

I was drained when I came home and napped, Kassandra visited family, and the boys watched t.v.  Isn't that such a boy's things, though?  T.v. and movies.  So, here I am, blogging at almost midnight, and even though I had nothing to report on, I still typed a whole page!   

I do want to say before I go since I mentioned it in yesterday's blog, that I had such a wonderful time last night with my girlfriends.  My girlfriend's apartment is the cutest thing ever, she was a magnificent host, we had everything from strawberries and chocolate with wine to shrimp on those cute little kabob things.  The concert was high energy with the best music that kept you moving and jumping the entire two hour performance, and the band members where so cool and approachable.  We got to go on stage with them and meet them after the concert. 

I'm going to be talking a lot about my family so I better introduce them.  My husband's name is Alex and my son's name is Alexander.  This can get confusing so most of the time, I call my husband my husband or Big Al.  My son is a few days shy of nine years old and going into fourth grade.  My daughter's name is Kassandra, she is 18 and leaving to college in less than a month!  I'm very proud of her.  I have two sisters, both younger,   Maritza and Adriana.  Mari is only a couple years younger than I am and Adri is a whole decade younger.  My brother is Ernesto and I sometimes call him Ernie.  I am at the stage in life when my mom is the cutest thing ever, and I find her to be quite funny and entertaining.  My dad is my dad, and the best man I know.  I have too many friends and family to list, but you'll be hearing about my book club girls a lot, we meet once a month and barely talk about the books.  Our book club is the BBB.

I'll post pictures of all of them later.  Good night guys.  I'm going to go have a bowl of cereal.  Breaking all the rules today!!

Pictures: 
My kiddos bright and early one morning last week. 
Visiting my girlfriend yesterday in Oak Park.
Hanging out at the concert.  BBB girls at BBB concert!
My girlfriend with the lead singer of Balkan Beat Box.



No comments:

Post a Comment